Thursday, March 10, 2005

I grew up in Hawaii!

My dad was in the Air Force, and we moved to Hawaii in 1983, when I was 12. I lived there until I graduated from high school, in 1988.

When I mention Hawaii to most people, their eyes focus into the distance and they opine about how lucky I was to have lived my high school years in such a beautiful place.

I apologize for having had the "good fortune" to live in Hawaii, where, as a racial minority, I endured race-based bullying from Samoans, exclusion from ethnically Japanese social groups, and subtle racial discrimination even from teachers -- you see, Haolis like me are too outspoken, too competitive, and don't submit to authority like children should.

I apologize for thinking I understand racism in America in my own peculiar way, having lived as a Haoli in Hawaii during high school, and as a Cajun/white boy in Louisiana and Virginia during college, hearing race-based generalizations while on both sides of the fence, so to speak.

Oh, and of course I apologize for comparing my plight as a white boy in high school that got beat up after school by Kama'aina to the plight of any actual, Federally-protected, and therefore legitimate, racial minority. I'm such a bigot.

No comments: